Next Page
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page  of 2

1970V4
V4 Fanatic

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  03:39:19 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I've not been too active on here lately, I still have my '72 96 and hope to get the rebuilt engine in sometime this summer. In addition to various house projects I also fixed up my '89 900S and have been rallycrossing it.

I lucked into finding a '64 96 for sale, I've never owned a running stroker for sale. One came along on the vSAAB mailing list I'm on. At $200 it was too good of a deal to pass up, I'll be picking up and towing it back with my 9000 on the way to Carlisle, Pennsylvania for a big Saab meet this weekend.

Here are the specifics from the ad:
quote:

I'm selling my 1964 bullnose stroker - but it has to move FAST from Alexandria Virginia. I'm shipping out to be an Air Force Jag in about two weeks- and I can't take it with me.

I started working on the car in 2007- with absolutely zero success, so instead I went to law school and left it on jack stands in my garage.

The good:
1. It's a bullnose
2. It's a stroker
3. This car is in very good un-restored condition. A barn find last registered in 73. (until I registered it in 07)
4. It has 16,000 on the odometer- and I think its true based on the very good condition of the interior.
5. It's light blue, but has a lot of white rust stopper sprayed over the body.
6. I have all of the chrome, hubcaps, extra whether stripping, and many parts I accumulated. You can have everything.
7. It ran and drove when I bought it in 2007. I tooled around for a few days before I started working on it.

The bad:
1. first, I don't have tires on the wheels. If you need tires to tow it, I can get whatever you want, but you'll have to add that to the price. I had the wheels shot and primed, but didn't replace the discarded tires.
2. The seats will need re-upholstering. They are in great shape- but dry and crumbling. The only wear is in the drivers seat, but the cloth and foam just deteriorated when I got in and out a few times.
3. There is some rust through in the floor- not bad though. One small spot in the trunk and one seam in the passenger space about nine inches long and about one inch wide.
4. The water-pump/generator was leaking a bit. I have a replacement that should be good. I have a total of three water pump/generators now. I guess started a saab part collection.
5. I broke the brake line to the front passenger side while trying to put on the fancy dancy stainless brake hoses. I couldn't find somebody that knew how to make me a double flare fitting, so there's still no brake line... That was what convinced me to get a new hobby...

Thats the deal. Please come get this saab; I really want it to go to a good home and I hate the idea of sending it to a junk yard. I initially was hoping chip in Richmond would take it, but he's too busy. Please consider putting this beautiful car back on the road. It just takes someone with a little more know-how than me and a lot of elbow grease.

Pics:

Andyinthegarage
V4 Fanatic

United Kingdom
361 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  21:16:08 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Good for you - many happy hours ahead methinks!
Go to Top of Page

blue95V4
V4 Fanatic

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  22:16:06 Show Profile Reply with Quote
You won't regret it! I bought my stroker on a whim a couple of years ago. I spotted it at the "SOS" meet at Duxford (UK), being driven by Chris Partington (well-known Saab techie guy) and casually said "if you ever think of selling it, give me a call" - hoping, maybe, that he'd say "no way" - he actaually said "it's for sale ..... here's my number, give me a call later this evening!". So I did just that, arranged to go and see/drive it and was hooked - the deal was done. "Erik", as he's known, has spent the swinter in my garage having a bit of refiurbishment (new front springs, bushes, disk calipers (a Partington modification - discs and V4 drive shafts with a 4-sp box!), cv boots, brake hoses, a bit of welding and a new (fabricated in shiny aluminium sheet) heater matrix box, as the old cardboard one disintegrated. Passed his MoT last Friday and has been celebrating by buzzing around the Dorset lanes. he's booked in to a few shows in the next couple of months - we're both very happy!

David (in age order: 96 2T, 260-2 Saabo, 95 V4 and a c900S Aero Vert, plus a 9-3 Aero TTiD SW)
Go to Top of Page

1970V4
V4 Fanatic

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  19:16:00 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I towed it 700+ miles back home with my '86 9000 Turbo. It's now washed and sitting behind the garage, I'll get to it in about a month once I finish some home projects. My plan is to sort the mechanicals, clean it up, and drive it as-is.

Go to Top of Page

96er
V4 Fan

118 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  22:40:32 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I am SO SO jealous!...
Go to Top of Page

john-saab
Administrator

United Kingdom
2679 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  08:56:29 Show Profile Reply with Quote
That looks to be in excellent condition..you should be ring-a-din dinging soon!

'72 95 (The Flying Banana),'72 96 (Bridget),'74 95 (Veronica)
Go to Top of Page

1970V4
V4 Fanatic

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  19:54:42 Show Profile Reply with Quote
This weekend I hope to get this car running and stopping and to get it insured and registered for the road next week. I'm hopefully going to drive it to a local Saab event the weekend after.

I got new front brake hoses from eBay and had a local brake parts shop fabricate a brake line for me this morning while I waited!

The engine turns over by hand fine, so hopefully all it should need to run is a good waterpump/generator (I have a bunch of spares that came with the car) and fresh fuel mix.

The next thing on the list will be seatbelts, this car has the mounting points for them in the front but did not have them installed from the factory. I'm thinking about trying to fit some later V4 ones with the metal loop in the middle.

Edited by - 1970V4 on 17 Aug 2012 19:55:42
Go to Top of Page

1970V4
V4 Fanatic

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  20:35:06 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Here is some video of us getting the stroker fired up, runs great:

http://youtu.be/uEnFiJR7kLE

We also were able to bleed the brakes and get pressure but a few wheel cylinders are seized. Have a complete setting getting shipped to me.
Go to Top of Page

Alfie
Starting Member

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  13:02:18 Show Profile Reply with Quote
She's a thing of beauty!!! Looking forward to reading about the restoration.

Alfie
Go to Top of Page

James Ranaldi
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
1475 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  17:09:48 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Amazing.

I want to be the guy blipping the throttle ! !
Go to Top of Page

1970V4
V4 Fanatic

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  15:14:10 Show Profile Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James Ranaldi
Amazing.

I want to be the guy blipping the throttle ! !

That's my pal Charley, he has a '73 96 and drove stroker a 96 daily back in the '70s and has a lot of amusing stories about that. I gave him the honors of firing it up for the first time.

I put a set of front seat belts in it the other night. It actually came with a set of original c. 1960 Klippan belts with shoulder harnesses only. I installed these along with a set of lap belts from the rear of a '70s 96 so it effectively has three point belts up front now.

Also installed the bonnet and bumpers and lenses, it feels like a real car now. Can't wait to drive in on Saturday!

I'm trying to sell my 9000 now to finance the fixing up of my '72 96, I want to get that back on the road too.

Go to Top of Page

James Ranaldi
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
1475 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  20:41:07 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Lucky
Charley.
Go to Top of Page

1970V4
V4 Fanatic

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  14:36:08 Show Profile Reply with Quote
My complete set of new brake cylinders (four front, two rear) from eBay arrived last night so those will be ready to go in tonight. I pulled all of the brake drums and was very happy with what I found:

All new hardware and shoes. Some of the cylinders were seized since the system was left open while the car was in storage by the previous owner but that will be remedied by the new hydraulics. I'll see if the cylinders that come off will clean up enough to rebuild, would be nice to keep those as spares.

I figure by the time this car is ready for the road I'll have about $500 USD in it including purchase price, not bad for a running/driving bullnose car!
Go to Top of Page

James Ranaldi
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
1475 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  21:20:42 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I'll give you $600 for it (delivered to Aberdeen, Scotland ,UK.

Good work on the brakes. I'll have to do mine sometime soon.

Edited by - James Ranaldi on 23 Aug 2012 21:21:59
Go to Top of Page

1970V4
V4 Fanatic

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2012 :  02:33:27 Show Profile Reply with Quote
So I've made quite a bit of progress on this car in the last couple of months. As of today I am happy to report that it is insured, inspected, registered, and driving!

The brakes are working great (well as great as non-assisted drums can work!). I installed new NGK AB-8 plugs and points/condenser but it was still running like rubbish.

The big obstacle that I ran into was a clogged up fuel system. Before I made my first attempt at starting this car this summer I drained the petrol tank before adding a fresh petrol/oil mix of 50:1. This was fine for a while but then varnish started clogging up the fuel filter and carb. So I removed the tank last weekend, this if what I found covering the bottom of it, 1/2 inch of rust and varnish. No wonder it was running so poorly!

I had called around and could not find anyone locally who would clean the tank out for me. The one place that would wanted $400 USD to clean and reseal the tank, more than twice what I paid for the car! So I decided that this would be a DIY job.

After draining the tank out I took it to the local self serve car wash and blasted it out with hot soapy water and cleared all of the sludge out of the bottom. Then I put in some denatured alcohol to clean and help dry it out, drained it and let it dry. The next day I put a bunch of nuts and bolts and some acetone in there and shook it around to help clean some of the more scaly rust. Drained and let it dry. Then went in some Evapo Rust, a water-based product that helps clean up rust. Then this was followed by a rinse with water and more alcohol to let it dry.

The tank went back in and then after some fiddling I got it running right. I put it all back together and took it down to be inspected at the Sheriff's station (this must be done before registering an out of state car in Kentucky). They were pretty intrigued by it, when I pulled in the inspector thought it was a Peugeot! It passed fine after a check of the lights/wipers/horn/signals, etc. I then drove over to the county clerk's office to get my official registration and Historic Vehicle number plates. Another good thing in Kentucky is that if you get Historic Vehicle number plates you are allowed to run an actual plate from the year of manufacture of your car, as long as you keep the assigned historic plate in the car. So I purchased this one off of eBay and am running it on the car now.

And here is a photo of the car after driving it as bit today. I just painted the wheels black the other night, they contrast well with the blue/white body.

Initial impressions: it handles better than a V4 -- less nose heavy and quicker steering, much slower than a V4, no torque vs. a lot of torque with the V4. And the three-speed gearbox is taking some getting used to. Still loads of fun to drive. I was seriously laughing like a mad man when I first got it out on the road today. So much fun.

The accelerator pedal on a stroker is like an on/off switch. You're either on it completely or off it. I would definitely prefer a V4 as a daily driver but there is something very special about the stroker!

Edited by - 1970V4 on 13 Oct 2012 02:36:29
Go to Top of Page

James Ranaldi
V4 Guru

United Kingdom
1475 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2012 :  07:37:04 Show Profile Reply with Quote
Great stuff, very exciting. Well done, love the plates
Go to Top of Page
Page  of 2Previous Topic Topic Next Topic 
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic